This year the BMW Car Club Gauteng celebrates the 35th anniversary of the Concours d’Elegance, the most prestigious event on the Club calendar. The year 2016 also marks the centenary of the BMW marque, with celebrations happening all year round, globally. The Concours forms a key part of the Club’s commemoration of the 100th year anniversary of the Bavarian Motors Works. It is a celebration of the classics focusing on the heritage of the BMW brand. With limited space, entries will primarily be done by invitation, making this year’s event rather more exclusive.
For 2016 the Concours d’Elegance returns to the iconic Nelson Mandela Square in Sandton, on the 4th September. Sandton Auto who has been a long time sponsor of the event returns this year as the main sponsor, under the Melrose Arch Auto banner. The emphasis this year will be on the modern classic BMWs, the icons of the last five decades that have made the BMW brand into the universal success it is today.
This year the following unique models to the South African market will be on display:
- SA 1800 (adapted from the Glas 1700)
- SA 2000 (adapted from the Glas 1700)
- BMW E12 530 MLE (first M car in the world (preceding the M1) of which only 200 were made)
- BMW E12/8 M535i (South Africa was the only market to install the interior of the next generation 5 Series E28, into the E12 range)
- BMW E23 745i (used the same engine as found in the M1, the M88 motor)
- BMW E30 333i (deprived of the E30 M3, the 333i was exclusively developed for the South African Market)
- BMW E30 325iS
Other special BMWs that will be on display:
- M1 (BMW’s first Super Car)
- i8 ( BMW’s first hybrid Super Car)
- M2 (BMW’s spiritual successor to the 2002 Turbo)
Shiraz Bawa, owner and founder of SA Beemer a social network showcasing the BMW passion, culture and lifestyle across South Africa, will be launching the SA Beemer magazine, a bi-monthly publication, at 12:00. This will be the first independent BMW publication to be offered on the African continent.
At 13:00 Evolution 2 Motorsport, world-renowned BMW classic race car builder, restorer and custodian of several classic BMW racers for well known race drivers and enthusiasts, will unveil the latest BMW racer, built for local racing legend, Robbi Smith.
The draw of the BMW regalia hamper worth R3000, will take place at 14:00. Entry forms have been distributed at Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square restaurants, Sandton Auto BMW, Melrose Arch Auto BMW, Tune Tech, Evolution 2 Motorsport and BMW Car Club Gauteng events. Spectators can also complete and submit their entry forms on the day.
The judging panel will be made up of members of the BMW Car Club committee as well as well-known and respected BMW experts.
These are the various classes that participants can enter in:
- d’Honneur Stock – this class is for entrants who have participated before in the d’Etat class with BMWs that are completely original – as it left the factory
- d’Honneur Modified – this class is for entrants who have participated before in the d’Elegance class with BMWs that are not completely original, as an e.g. have different aftermarket wheels
- d’Etat – this class is for entrants who have participated before in the Show ‘n Shine class with BMWs that are completely original – as it left the factory
- d’Elegance – this class is for entrants who have participated before in the Show ‘n Shine class with BMWs that are not completely original, as an e.g. have different aftermarket wheels
- Show ‘n Shine – this class is for first time entrants
Trophies will also be awarded for:
- Best M Car
- Best 2002
- Best Classic
- Best 325iS
Further details about the event:
- Venue: Nelson Mandela Square, Sandton, Johannesburg
- Date: Sunday, 4th September
- Time: 09:00 – 16:00
- Entrance: Free to spectators
- Main Sponsor: Melrose Auto
For more information contact:
|Facebook:||BMW Car Club Gauteng|
More about BMW Car Club Gauteng
The Club was formed in 1981 to afford likeminded enthusiasts the opportunity to interact with each other through a comprehensive calendar of events, a club magazine and website portal. The Club also organizes adrenaline and social based events such as breakfast runs, classic car gatherings, Concours d’Elegance competitions, social events, weekend trips, gymkhana’s and top speed events. The Club is proud of its family ethos where all enthusiasts are welcome. Annual membership starts from as little as R350, more information is available at www.bmwcarclub.co.za.